Friday, January 22, 2010

Thursday, January 21st

Pics: A preview of coming events- (double) rainbow in the park!! Where's me lucky charms? Kidding. . .




Today was another day of orientation. The sun rises here at about 6:20 or so and finishes coming up at 6:45am. I got up early to try to watch it and ended up missing it to get ready. Everyday we sit in the sun in the morning and then move into the shade when it gets very hot in the afternoon.

We also found out our internships today! For people who aren’t familiar with MSID, it is the only program in Kenya that has a significant internship component and homestays. This first week here is orientation; then, there is 7 weeks of school, followed by 6 weeks of internship, and finally, one wrap-up week. I found out that my internship is going to be in Mombasa, Kenya, with FIDA Kenya- the Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya. Many countries have a branch of FIDA, but this opportunity is particularly exciting to me as FIDA Kenya helped to ratify the Protocol to the African Charter on the Rights of Women in Africa, which I wrote about for my senior thesis last year!

We also went on another ‘game’ ride today and saw more of Lake Nakuru, zebras and giraffes! The giraffes were kind of distant and it was raining, so we couldn’t see them that well. However, something special happened during the rain- the sun was also out and there was a double rainbow! It sprawled across the lake and into the forest. It was very beautiful. On the ride back, we encountered a hug tree on the road and had to wait to pass until the people in front of us cleared it away.

Picture: Giraffes in the rain

We usually go to bed early here (9pm), as we get up early. However, it doesn’t feel stressful at all, probably because of the weather and lifestyle here. More later as it is my bedtime!

3 comments:

  1. gillian!! i love it. i'm so glad you are blogging. it all sounds so exciting so far! SO MANY ANIMALS!

    can't wait for more updates.

    xoxo

    katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Gillian -- fascinating! Thanks for your posts! And congrats on the internship -- sounds perfect for you. Say hi to the giraffes for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely plan to say hi to some giraffes while I am here, Karen! We saw two while driving in the rain at Nakuru, but there is a giraffe petting zoo in Nairobi that I will visit sometime while I am here- you can actually feed the giraffes! I'll take a picture for you if I can! :), Gillian

    ReplyDelete